Actual transmissions heard at the O'Hare TRACON
- "Approach, how far from the airport are we in minutes?"
"N923, the faster you go, the quicker you'll get here."
- "American Two-Twenty, Eneey, meeny, miney, moe, how do
you hear my radio?"
- "Air Wisconsin Three-Thirty-Five, caution wake turbulence,
there is an Air Wisconsin Three-Forty-Five on the frequency."
- "I don't mind altitude separation as long as they're
not on top of each other."
- "We were told Rwy 9...we'll take out the 14R approach
"Captain you got sixty miles to take it out...have a ball."
- "The traffic at nine o'clock's gonna do a little Linda
Ronstadt on you."
"Linda Ronstadt? What's that?"
"Well, sir, they're gonna 'Blue Bayou'."
- "I can see the country club down below...look's like
a lot of controllers out there!"
"Yes, sir, there is...and they're caddying for DC-10 drivers
- "N07K you look like you're established on the localizer
and I don't know the names of any of the fixes, you're cleared
for the ILS approach. Call the tower."
- "AmTran 726, sorry about that, Center thought you were
a Midway arrival. Just sit back, relax and pass out some more
cookies...we'll get you to Milwaukee."
- "Approach, what's our sequence?"
"Calling for the sequence I missed your callsign, but if
I find out what it is, you're last."
- "Sure you can have eight miles behind the heavy...there'll
be a United tri-jet between you and him."
- "Approach, SWA436, you want us to turn right to 090?"
"No, I want your brother to turn. Just do it and don't
- "Approach UAL525 what's this aircraft doing at my altitude?"
"UAL525, what makes you think it's YOUR altitude, Captain?"
- "DAL1176, say speed."
"DAL1176, we slowed it down to two-twenty."
"DAL1176 pick it back up to two-fifty...this ain't Atlanta,
and them ain't grits on the ground."
- "Request Runway 27 Right."
"Approach, do you know the wind at six thousand is 270 at
"Yeah, I do, and if we could jack the airport up to fifty-five
hundred you could have that runway. Expect 14 Right."
- "Air Force Four-Five, it appears your engine has...oh,
disregard...I see you've already ejected."
- "The first officer says he's got you in sight."
"Roger, the first officer's cleared for a visual approach
runway 27 Right...you continue on that 180 heading and descend
to three thousand."
- "Hey, O'Hare, you see the 7600 code flashing five northwest
"Yeah, I do...you guys talkin' to him?"
- "Approach, what's the tower?"
"That's a big tall building with glass all around it, but
that's not important right now."
- "How far behind traffic are we?"
"That doesn't look like three miles to us!"
"You're a mile and a half from him, he's a mile and a half
from you...that's three miles."
[Back to "The Funnies"]